Osmotic-Controlled Release Oral Delivery System (OROS) Medication/Products
To provide an overview of the osmotic-controlled release oral delivery system (OROS) medications/products made of multi-layer drilled tablets, including: the companies that hold these medications/products (Pfizer? Teva?); the leading medications or products in this category of the market; and the market size on OROS tablets in the United States.
Understanding Osmotic-Controlled Release Oral Delivery Systems (OROS)
- The osmotic-controlled release oral delivery system (OROS) "is an advanced drug delivery technology that uses osmotic pressure as the driving force to deliver pharmacotherapy, usually once-daily, in several therapeutic areas."
- "The main clinical benefits of OROS are their ability to improve treatment tolerability and patient compliance."
- Osmotic pressure activation, is one of the activation-modulated drug delivery system categories (others include hydrodynamic pressure activated, vapor pressure activated, mechanically activated, and magnetically activated), in the release mechanisms segments of the controlled release drug delivery market.
Controlled Release Drug Delivery System Market Size in the U.S.
- The U.S. controlled release drug delivery market size in 2017 was $12 billion.
- The global controlled release drug delivery market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 7.8% between 2016 and 2027.
- The North America regional market captures the largest revenue share at 35.6% of the global controlled release drug delivery market and will continue to retain its dominance in the future.
- Assuming that the U.S. controlled release drug delivery market is growing at the same CAGR as the global market, then the U.S. market size in 2020 can be estimated at $15.03 billion (1.078^3 x $12 billion).
- In the overall market, "osmotic delivery is projected to witness the fastest CAGR in the activation modulation drug delivery systems, due to the ability of this release mechanism to not be affected by various factors, such as pH, food consumption, and gastrointestinal motility
Insights on Products and Players in the OROS Market
Summary of Findings
- During the preliminary hour of research, we found that information on the osmotic-controlled release oral delivery system (OROS) market size in the U.S. (as a segment of the controlled release drug delivery market) exists in various industry reports, but the information is behind paywalls. We have provided the market size of the U.S. controlled release drug delivery market and an indication on how the OROS segment is expected to grow in the future.
- We determined that information on the companies that hold OROS medications/products and examples of products in this segment is relatively available.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.