Western US Communication Services
Support the creation of a new marketing strategy by providing an overview of the competitive landscape in the western US of mid- to large-size full-service communication services to residential and business customers including voice, high speed internet, home and business automation services, etc. In terms of scope, priority should be four mid-size companies (operating within a 2-4 state area). Regardless of size, special focus should be paid to how these companies market their services to both business and residential customers.
A look at the Western United States
- The western United States encompasses the following states: Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico.
- There are 239 broadband internet providers in Oregon, although presumably not all of them offer phone services. Just looking at Oregon City, there are 7 providers that offer phone and internet : CenturyLink, Xfinity, Viasat, Hughesnet, Wave, Clear Creek Mutual Phone Company, and the Beaver Creek Telephone Company. However, for the last three companies, coverage is below 38% of the city already.
- There are 361 internet providers in California, although presumably not all of them offer phone services.
- In Washington, Spectrum, CenturyLink, and Hughesnet all offer some form of internet and phone bundle. However, all three are national providers.
A look at mid-sized communication providers in the United States
- A full list of internet providers that can be arranged in terms of the size of their coverage can be found here. Note that the filter must be done per page; it will not allow filtering across the whole list. According to the list, there are 2,667 internet providers in the country.
- SOME Internet providers in the US that cover two states are the following: Service Electric Broadband Cable, Service Electric Cable TV
, Buckeye Broadband
, Comporium Communications, Vast Broadband
, MaxxSouth Broadband
, Hargray Communications
, Cable America Missouri, Adams Cable Service
, CAS Cable
, D&P Communications, Bailey Cable TV
, Access Cable Television
, Consolidated Smart Broadband Systems
, Swyft Connect, and Astrea
. Note that these companies may NOT cover the western United States, nor may they all provide phone services.
- SOME Internet providers in the US that cover three states are the following: Wave Broadband,
Ritter Communications, Inter Mountain Cable,
, ETC Communications LLC,
, and Long Lines
.Note that these companies may NOT cover the western United States, nor may they all provide phone services.
In summary, the picture of communication service providers in the United States is highly fragmented. There are literally thousands of providers, all of whom may or may not operate within our area of interest, or if they do, may or may not be a full-service provider. This is complicated by the fact that many of these providers, despite crossing state lines, have very limited communications. The following recommendations are based on those early findings.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.