Farming Games Market
To provide an overview (including number of users, game play overview, revenue generating devices, animation quality, user experience overview) of all the major farming games for console, mobile and computer gaming platforms, including:
- Harvest Moon
- Stardew Valley
- Hay Day
- Farmville (1 & 2)
- Family Farm Seaside
- Farming Simulator 19
- Village and Farm
- My Time at Portia
This is to understand the farming game simulator market.
- Developer: Yasuhiro Wada
- The "Harvest Moon game series, now called Story of Seasons, is one of the best-selling game series. It requires players to farm, socialize, and manage property."
- "The first game in the franchise was released in 1996. Since then, there have been a total of 26 games released as of April 2019."
- Harvest Moon Otaku "is a Private company. It has an estimated revenue of <$1M and an estimate of less <10 employees."
- Developer: Eric Barone
- Available on: PS4, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android
- Stardew Valley sold 3.5 million copies and had 700,000 monthly active players in 2018.
- "In the first month on PC, Stardew Valley sold 800,000 copies, and was a standout hit in the indie-gaming space."
- "Eric Barone partnered with publisher, Chucklefish, to debut the game on PC in February 2016, and has since launched it on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, and Nintendo Switch."
- Game: It borrows a lot of the mechanics and some story elements of Natsume’s Harvest Moon, but includes some modern-day commentary.
- Users: Its "enthusiastic fanbase is said to be a major factor to the game’s high sales. On the Nexus Mods website, the community has created and uploaded 1,513 mods."
Farmville 1 & 2
- Developer: Zynga
- Available on: iOS, Android
- It has been going strong since 2014 and has more than 50 million downloads on the Google Play Store.
- FarmVille is said to be the "most widely-played game in existence. Zynga had 72 million monthly unique users in March 2018."
- Animation: FarmVille is described as having a "cartoonish aesthetic."
Farming Simulator 19
Developer: Giants Software
- Available on: PS4, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch
- "Farming Simulator is a long-running video game series played by roughly a million people."
- It is estimated that "as many as a quarter of its players are connected to farming in some way, and around 8-10% are full-time, professional farmers." "Some of its dedicated players actually have a farming background or work in a related industry (like suppliers and mechanics). But for the most part, Farming Simulator fans love the series for its calm, meditative gameplay."
- In 2015, it "hit the top of the video game charts in the UK."
- In 2019, Giant Software organized an e-sports tournament in Europe for Farming Simulator 19, with €250,000 worth in prizes, including non-cash prizes.
- Animation: Farming Simulator 19 has been described as having "realistic graphics."
- "Since debuting 11 years ago, the series has sold more than 25 million copies and been downloaded 90 million times on mobile. Farming Simulator 20 came out in December for iOS, Android, and Nintendo Switch."
- In November 2019, Farming Simulator 19 "became one of the first games to launch on the Google Stadia cloud streaming service, which lets users play PC games across phones, tablets, TVs, and laptops."
- For the initial hour, we tried identifying as much of the requested information as possible. We were able to find some early insights on Harvest Moon, Stardew Valley, Farming Simulator 19, and Farmville 1 & 2.
- Please let us know if there are additional insights or specific data points on Harvest Moon, Stardew Valley, Farming Simulator 19, and Farmville 1 & 2 that would be of interest, for us to investigate further.
- In the course of our research, we also found some insights on Farming Simulator e-sports.
- Feel free to select an option below.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
As we were only able to touch on some of the requested information, we recommend continuing the research to create a competitive landscape for 1. My Time at Portia, 2. Township, 3. Staxel, 4. Village and Farm, 5. Family Farm Seaside 6. Hay Day. Where available, we will try to provide insights on the following data points: a. number of users, b. game play overview, c. revenue generating devices, d. animation quality, e. user experience overview. We can also identify 5-7 additional farming games or agricultural games that were not included in the original list and provide a brief overview on them.
As an alternate research path, we can also identify 2-3 insights on Farming Simulator e-sports, which might also be of interest as it pertains to the farming games market.