Overview - Petsmart/Petsmart Charities
To understand, for Petsmart/Petsmart Charities, their advertising spend channels (digital or traditional) and media spend, their overall business objectives and goals, who the CMO is as well as other key stakeholders, which would include Suzi Berrios, and to understand the industry, competitive set and any opportunities.
Overall, the overarching goals are to understand what they are trying to achieve with advertising and what opportunities are out there for them to grow their business.
- Suzi Berrios joined the PetSmart Charities team in 2017 as Director of Customer Experience. Her strong background in marketing includes over two decades of leading brand strategy, events, product development, CRM, direct response, advertising, promotions and production.
- Deborah Turcott is an "impassioned executive whose career has focused on strengthening mission-driven nonprofit and public organizations." With over two decades of executive experience, her role as Acting President at PetSmart Charities brings to life a celebration of her professional acumen and an area of personal pursuit: animals influencing lives and communities for the better.
- PetSmart Charities U.S. Board of Directors.
- Petsmart Charities Canadian Board of Directors.
- Lindsay Del Chiaro is the Director of Programs at PetSmart Charities, North America’s leading funder of animal welfare and the human animal bond. There, she leads a team of nine associates responsible for international grantmaking, adoption events and programs and building partnerships and connections with animal welfare organizations, charities and grantees across the US and Canada. She is also on the Board of Directors for Animal Grantmakers.
- PetSmart charities uses mobile location technology to drive adoptions. "GroundTruth used its location-targeting capabilities around PetSmart locations during key adoption periods to drive over 110,000 visits to the retailer's brick-and-mortar locations." "In addition to real-time location targeting around PetSmart locations, GroundTruth used its first-party audience data and targeting to connect with PetSmart customers. It also created a “Charitable Audience” that accounted for 73% of visits in May 2018."
- Petsmart Charities has a YouTube channel.
- United States 2017 Annual Report and Financial Statements. Here is a screenshot of their advertising expenses for 2017. It is not broken down by channel. Advertising costs are charged to operations when incurred. Advertising expense charged to operations was
$1,929,487 and $1,127,071 for fiscal years ended January 28, 2018, and January 29, 2017, respectively.
- U.S. Forms 990 for 2017.
- In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address the stated goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
In our initial one hour research, we were able to provide the three key executives with Petsmart Charities, as well as the board of directors for both the US and Canada. Additionally we were able to locate the United States 2017 Annual Report and Financial Statements where the advertising spend was provided, but no breakdown by channel was publicly available. Given what our pre-search told us, we are recommending the following research steps. ONE: research covering 7 creatives that Petsmart Charities have done for the past 12-24 months. We will prioritize the last 12 months. We will demonstrate where they are advertising. Is it online digitally, or traditionally (in store, flyers, TV). TWO: research examining and exploring what Petsmart Charities business objectives and goals are. We will look at any opportunities they might be eyeing to enable them to grow, and include any information about what they are doing to meet these goals and objectives. This will be a US focus. If another geographic focus is required, then that should be clearly communicated to us in any reply.
Additionally, we are recommending research detailing 5 competitive and comparative charities to Petsmart Charities. For each one found, we will provide who they are, what reach they have (local, state, national) and whether they have partnered with Petsmart Charities or not. This will be a US focus. If another geographic focus is required, then that should be clearly communicated to us in any reply.
Even though we were not able to provide a breakdown on their advertising and media spend (though we did provide you the overall figure) in the initial research, we could attempt to find that by triangulating their overall spend on advertising by looking at any kind of publicly available breakdown of their actual activities for advertising and marketing. We want to warn you that this may end up being fruitless, but we felt we should offer this to you nonetheless. This will be a US focus. If another geographic focus is required, then that should be clearly communicated to us in any reply.