Grocery Store SKUs
To understand the number and value of total SKUs versus owned brand SKUs of the top grocery store chains.
- Kroger has 4,064 stores and has managed to become the 2nd largest grocery chain in the U.S.
- Kroger's website has 69,793 products listed for sale online across 16 categories, with a focus on grocery and organic food.
- Kroger's Grocery category is the largest being sold online at 23.6K.
- Kroger's own brand name products are sold the most at "4,560, while Simple Truth (2,188) and Private Selection (927) follow at 2nd and 3rd position respectively."
- Revlon (650 products), Maybelline (610 products) and L’Oreal (506 products) are also among their top branded cosmetic products.
- "More than 50% of products for sale are Kroger Private Label brands."
- In 2018, Kroger added 1,022 “own brand” items. Each of their supermarkets stocks an average of more than 15,000 private-label products such as pet food, clothes, furniture, meal kits and office supplies. Their 16 house brands currently account for more than 30% of unit sales.
- Over the past couple years, Albertsons Cos. has been adding items to its private label brand portfolio, with sales penetration reaching 25.3% in the first quarter of fiscal 2019.
- In 2018, Albertsons Cos. introduced "around 1,100 new products to its own brands; many from O Organics and Open Nature, which have grown 11.5% over the last year and currently represent 23.6% of the total natural and organic sales at Albertsons Cos.’ stores."
- In 2018, O Organics reached sales of $1 billion, and has grown to include over 1,200 products, including roughly 300 that were introduced in 2018 in produce, dairy, meat, deli, snack and baby categories.
- Open Nature introduced 175 new products in the past year and is on track to becoming the company’s "fifth $1 billion brand." Their new items include a full line of sun care SKUs.
- Albertsons is planning to expand its own brands (particularly Open Nature) in the pet food, wellness products for adults and children, and hygiene products categories.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
We were able to identify the approximate number of own brand SKUs and the number of branded product SKUs of Kroger and Albertsons. We recommend further research to provide insights and data points on the approximate number of own brand SKUs, number of branded product SKUs and the value (in USD) of private label products of Publix, HEB, Whole Foods, Hy-vee, Southeastern Grocers, Giant Eagle, Wegmans and WinCo.
We can also identify insights and data points on the approximate number of own brand SKUs, number of branded product SKUs and the value (in USD) of 5 more prominent grocery retailers: Costco, Sprouts, Target, Trader Joe's and Walmart.