People's Interest in Hobbies
To identify common hobbies and how many people are interested in or participate in them.
- The term "hobby" encompasses a wide range of activities enjoyed by people for leisure purposes.
- Some examples of hobbies include knitting, crocheting, photography, sports, gardening, dancing, video games and fishing.
Knitting and Crocheting
- As of 2016, there were 28.8 million knitters/crocheters in the U.S. Based on an estimated U.S. population of 323 million in 2016, this accounts for about 9% of the population.
- A large proportion (71%) of those who knit and/or crochet are women.
- Knitters and crocheters are relatively evenly split across ages groups with 34% being between 18 and 34, 36% being between 35 and 54 and 30% being over age 55.
- Some major reasons that people participate in knitting or crocheting include wanting a creative outlet, enjoying making gifts for others and getting a sense of accomplishment from making something.
- In 2017, there were 55.9 million people participating in the sport of running in the U.S.
- With an estimated U.S. population of 325.7 million in 2017, this represents 17.2% of the population.
- On average, people who enter running races are 39.3 years old with the average 5K participant being 40 years old.
- Women make up over half of all race runners and more than 60% of 5K runners.
- Common motivations for participating in the sport of running include health, weight loss and meeting others.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.