Percentage of Adults With Tattoos
To identify the percentage of adults living in New York City who have tattoos in order to satisfy a curiosity for a potential social media post. Adults are defined as 18 years of age and older.
- In an article posted on December 29, 2019, the New York Post reported that nearly 1 in 3 or 31.4% of New Yorkers have a tattoo. Please note that this news article posted information from a "city Department of Health survey."
- Women (34.9%) in NYC get tattoos more than men (27.4%).
- Percentages of adults in NYC who have tattoos by borough: Brooklyn (32.1%), Staten Island (36.6%), Manhattan (30.2%), Queens (27.5%).
- Percentages of adults in NYC who have tattoos based on ethnicity: Latinx (42.4%), Black (31%), White (27%), and Asian (17.2%).
- 16.7% of New Yorkers have gotten a tattoo removed.
- In 2016, the journal Dermatology surveyed tattoo artists in NYC. "Most tattooists (92.8%) reported being asked by clients to evaluate adverse tattoo reactions, 85% were asked about tattoo removal, and 90% were asked about the safety of getting a tattoo with a preexisting skin condition. About half (56.1%) had received training about skin conditions related to tattoos. Tattooists with prior training reported higher rates of optimal skincare behaviors and higher confidence with tattoo-related skin conditions; 91.4% reported interest in skincare education."
- The annual NYC Community Health Survey questions from 2002-2018, do not appear to ask about tattoos. However, piercings were discussed in 2014. Additional information about the city-wide survey can be found here.
In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
While it looks like the majority of the answer to your query has been provided in this span of research, it was not possible to find the exact NYC survey that contained the Post's reported survey responses. Although, it may be likely that the survey’s results are not yet available online (considering the holiday season and the recency of the survey results being published in a newspaper), the research team can take a look through the New York City government Department of Health datasets and other city resources to attempt to locate the original data source.
The research team can also take a look through other resources like studies, surveys and news articles to find out 5-7 additional insights and other fun/interesting/surprising facts about adult (18+) New Yorker city residents who have tattoos.