Charitable Donations: Platforms/Channels
To identify the platforms/channels that are most successful in driving charitable donations (paid, social, OOH) and to understand how the channel strategy affects how donors select their causes during the holiday season.
As per a 2018 report, 30% of all annual charitable donations in the US occur in December, while the last three days of the year alone contribute 10% of the annual charitable donations. The channels that are most successful in driving charitable donations in the US are discussed below.
- Facebook is the biggest social media platform in the world with more than 2.6 billion monthly active users, as of 2020. As per a 2018 report, non-profits in the US leveraged the power of Facebook to raise charitable donations over $125 million for Giving Tuesday in 2018.
- Other social media platforms like LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram are effective ways for non-profits to raise charity because of the wide reach of these social media platforms. As people learn about the non-profit and the charitable campaign, they can reach out to their friends and family and share the word.
- Charities and non-profits can leverage the power of social media by using social sharing buttons on their website, content, and emails. They can distribute shareable content across all platforms and ask their supporters to connect to the cause and share the message within their social network.
- Crowdfunding is a great way of telling about the charitable campaign and bringing in followers. Crowdfunding websites bring several charities and non-profits on a common platform, making it easier for potential donors to contribute.
- The crowdfunding websites not only accept charities for donations, they also invite individuals to initiate online personalized fundraising campaigns. These crowdfunding websites also allow charities to run their peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns.
- As per a 2018 report, 46% of US millennials, 45% of US Gen Xers, and 35% of US baby boomers donate to crowdfunding charitable campaigns. Also, 41% of all US citizens have donated in some capacity to crowdfunding campaigns that have benefited individuals.
- Email campaigns are powerful tools for charities and non-profits to capture leads and establish meaningful relationship with their donors.
- As per a 2018 report, email campaigns led to the generation of one-third of all online fundraising revenue in the US in 2018.
- In a survey of US internet users, 78% of the respondents stated that personalized emails increase their intent to establish a relationship with the brand. Using personalized emails, charities and non-profits can generate six times more donations than while using generalized emails. Also, since 56% of all emails are viewed on a tablet or a mobile device, the emails should be mobile-friendly.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.