Cord Cutters and the Switch from Cable to Streaming
To provide a breakdown of demographics for "cord cutters" in Austin/NYC/Southern California/Dallas. To find out what percentage of the population use cable versus streaming, what streaming platforms/apps (e.g. sling, roku) are most popular in these areas as specified above and how well connected TV advertisements on these streaming platforms perform with the customer. The research should also identify case studies on brands that have leveraged connected TV advertising.
- According to fuboTV's report titled "Portrait of a Cord-Cutter", families with parents aged between 35 and 54 with two or three children are the most likely demographic segment to stick with a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu after canceling traditional cable TV service.
- The parents in these cord-cutting families are typically working professionals with a college or advanced degree.
- Among the children, one is typically a teenager in these families.
- In terms of specific age groups, 90% of Americans between the age of 25 and 34 access TV content via the internet.
- The second largest segment of cord cutters are Americans from the 18-25 age group at 87% followed by the cord cutters aged 35-49 (78%).
- The lowest percentage of those who’ve cut the cord comes from the age group of 50 to 59 (63%).
- According to a survey conducted by westmonroepartners.com in December 2018, 59% of US consumers had already cut cable and 29% were thinking about it.
- At a state wise level, 59% of the surveyed population are cord cutters in the state of New York.
- For the states of Texas and California, the percentage of cord cutters is even higher (62%).
- According to the ‘All-American Economic Survey’ published by CNBC, 57% of Americans had a streaming service of some kind. The highest number of those who participated in CNBC’s research stated they use Netflix.
- A 2018 study from eMarketer showed that 64.5% of US digital video viewers watch Netflix at least once per month.
- In terms of the number of global viewers, Netflix led the chart with 171.6 million worldwide viewers in 2020.
- Other streaming platforms that followed Netflix included Amazon (88.7 million), and Hulu (55 million).
- According to the latest numbers published by moblyft.com, connected TV advertising only accounts for 1% of television advertising dollars.
- However, the study also indicates that US$332.52 billion in estimated market value by 2025 seems reasonable for connected TV advertising as the viewers don’t consider it as a barrier.
In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.