Concierge Healthcare Market
To understand the concierge healthcare market in the United States including size, growth, trends, and consumer usage.
- According to Concierge Medicine Today, there are approximately 12,000 physicians in the U.S. that offer concierge services. However, this number is based on a survey by the publication as there is no official registry or database.
- It is estimated that the growth rate of concierge healthcare is between 3% and 6% annually, primarily in internal medicince and family medicine. Polling figures from 2014-2018 indicate a 6% increase.
- The top five areas of conceirge healthcare are: Family medicine-32%; Internal Medicine-23%; Osteopathic Medicine-11%; Pediatric Medicine-8%; and Dentistry-5%.
- The total number of patients that use concierge services is not published. However, according to Concierge Medicine Today, the average concierge physician makes approximately $300,000 per year. The average yearly concierge fee ranges between $1,500 to $2,400 per year. This would bring the average number of patients to 125 to 200. With 12,000 concierge physicians in the U.S., the estimated number of patients using concierge medical services would be between 1.5 million and 2.4 million.
- A growing trend in the concierge healthcare market is Direct Primary Care (DPC). Like concierge, DPC physicians charge a monthly or yearly membership fee. However, sometimes called "cash doctors," DPC practices do not take any kind of insurance. They do work with HSAs.
- An emerging trend in the market is employer adoption of of concierge or DPC physician practices. Many employers are combining high deductible PPOs with concierge or DPC memberships.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.