Pod-based vaping Market (UK & US)
To understand the strategic directions of pod-based vaping devices, such as myBlu, Juul, UWell Caliburn, including their strengths, weaknesses, features, and unique selling propositions (USPs) and how these meet market needs.
- JUUL launched in the UK in July 2018, after it successful 2015 launch in the US where it now holds a 70% market share, up from 40% in 2017.
- While the company says it targets adults, it has proven popular with teenagers, which is proving to be a weakness for the company.
- Its unintentional popularity with teenagers is causing public relations problems for the company, which is under FDA scrutiny regarding its marketing.
- One JUUL pod is the equivalent of a pack of cigarettes, making is a more affordable option for customers who say they reduced their monthly expenditure from $238 on tobacco products to $180 on JUUL pods.
- JUUL features a variety of flavors, which is one of its popular features, but also part of its downfall in terms of attracting young customers.
- Expert reviews lists JUUL's strengths as its ease of use, "unmatched satisfaction for smokers," small size, good flavors, durability, and good customer service.
- Its weaknesses include limitations in nicotine strength, flavors, and availability beyond the US.
- MyBlu was introduced in the US in 2018, and the company advertised it as having a higher nicotine content that its previous e-cigarette.
- The strengths of MyBlu pods include their lightweight, ease of use, competitive pricing in the UK, cigarette-like satisfaction, flavor variety, and battery life.
- Its weaknesses include inconsistent flavor satisfaction in the UK, higher cost in the US, and mechanical issues.
BEST VAPING PODS
The Vaping.com website suggests that some best vaping pods on the market include UWELL Caliburn, SMOK Nord, JoyeTech Exceed Grip Kit, SMOK Infinix Kit, Lost Vapes Orion Q Pod System, Suorin Drop, Aspire Breeze 2, Suorin Edge, and Sourin Air Plus Vapign360 suggests some of the best vaping pods include SMOK Nord, Uwell Caliburn, Lost Vape Orion DNA Go, Innokin EQ, SMOK Infinix, SV Mi-Pod, and Kwit Stick.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Our initial research suggests that to provide a complete overview of the top vaping pods on the market, each brand will need to be tackled independently. Therefore, we would recommend continuing the research to provide a deep dive on the strengths, weaknesses, features, UVP, and market share (where available, as this data is somewhat limited) of each of the following brands: Mipod, Myblu, Vype, Logic, Vuse, Bo, Smok, JoyeTech, Aspire, Juul, Uwell, and Snorin.
Alternatively, we could do a deep dive on two of the most prominent brands, which would include JUUL (the market leader) and Uwell Caliburn (which makes most lists of best brands).
We would also recommend doing an overview of the current vaping pod market demands and needs, identifying consumer desires and market trends that will drive brand success.