Podcast Opportunities in Africa
To gain an understanding of the potential podcast audience in Kenya, Africa and if possible in South Africa, Nigeria, and elsewhere on the continent.
PODCASTING in KENYA
- In December 2019, Doreen Wamugunda of the website NATION explored the emerging podcast culture in Kenya. Insights from her research indicates that podcast consumption in the area is still incredibly new and as such, are drawing a younger overall audience.
- "Africa Podfest (was) the first podcast gathering of its kind on the continent. Taking place on March 12-13th, 2020 in Kenya’s capital, Nairobi, the event is a unique experience where African podcasters discover, learn, celebrate and shape the future of African podcasts."
KENYAN PODCASTS and DIASPORA AUDIENCES REPORT
podcasts." (Please note that the survey-based findings were collected from an incredibly small sample)
THE STATE OF PODCASTING IN KENYA 2019 REPORT
Another small scale survey-based study was presented by Africa Podcast in 2019. Highlights from that study are included below (though again caution is suggested as the sample size of this survey was quite small):
- 87.7% of listeners are between the ages of 19 and 35.
- 57.5% of listeners are female.
- The most popular international podcasts are serialized.
- 35% of the audience listens to the Omenerds podcast.
- Over 30% of listeners state that they listen to podcasts while driving.
Early findings indicate that any Kenyan specific details on the podcast audience are likely to be based on small-scale studies and it is suggested that if research continue that it be done for Africa as a whole while still highlighting any details specific to Kenya, South Africa, or Nigeria as available.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.