Diamond Polishing Top Players
To identify the top 5 diamond polishing companies and determine their revenue, overview of its services, the pricing for cutting and polishing a diamond, 3-4 examples of notable customers, any variation in the process they use for cutting and polishing a diamond, and their competitive advantage.
- The top 5 cutting and polishing companies are Kristall Production Corporation
, KGK Group
, Moshe Namdar Diamonds LTD
, Blue Star Diamonds
, and Bonas Group.
- Kristall is a Russian corporation that specializes in polished diamonds manufacturing. They also have a 53-store retail chain in Russia.
- The company also produces equipment and rigging for the diamond manufacturing industry.
- Revenue: RUB 12.8 billion (roughly $200 million)
- Its prices of polished diamonds vary significantly based on size, color, and clarity. For instance, the prices for a polished VS1 diamond varies between $10,849 and $33,580 per carat.
Insights on Manufacturing Cost
- While recent prices for the manufacturing of diamonds was not readily available, we were able to find a few older sources that talked about the cost to cut and polish a diamond.
- According to a report by IDMA, the cost of manufacturing depends mostly on clarity and color.
- For a Fine 2.5 to 4 carat unpolished diamond, manufacturers spend between $110 and $167 while the commercial 2.5 to 4 carat diamond costs about $89 to be cut and polished.
- The yield varies as well but it is usually in the range of 42 to 48%. This usually translates into a profit margin of 1% to 3% for manufacturers.
- As India is the primary market for cutting and polishing, most of the labor and work is done there. According to an independent research analysis from 2013, "India spends $10 per carat on the polishing and cutting of diamonds, against China's $17 and South Africa's $40 to $60."
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.