Post-Secondary Advising/Coaching Market
To quantify the number of people working in post-secondary advising or coaching roles, including directors, managers, and those giving front-line advisement services for the purposes of understanding the market size.
Preliminary research indicates that there is no direct answer to the number of people working in post-secondary advising or coaching roles, including directors, managers, and those giving front-line advisement services. However, there are some statistics that can provide an estimated number.
- According to Mark Sklarow, CEO of the Independent Educational Consultants Association, there are an estimated 8,000 full-time independent education consultants in the U.S.
- Independent education consultants are not employed by schools, but are tasked with helping "parents and their children navigate the application process, prepare for entrance exams and choose the right college."
- In 2016, there were 291,700 people employed as school and career counselors; however, many of these are likely at the K-12 level. There is no breakdown on the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) site that shows how many are employed by institutions of higher learning as opposed to secondary schools.
- The BLS also shows that in 2016, there were 180,100 post-secondary education administrators employed in the U.S. Unfortunately, not all of these are responsible for coaching and advising, but there is no breakdown by responsibility on the BLS site.
- More than 15,000 college admission and counseling professionals belong to the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACADA).
- According to a 2012 survey conducted by the NACADA, the ratio of academic advisers to university students is 1:367.
- In 2017, there were 18.4 million students enrolled at U.S. universities. Using the average ratio of students to advisers (367:1), the number of academic counselors employed by U.S. post-secondary institutions can be estimated at 50,136 college admissions advisers (18,400,000 / 367).
- In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.