Top Publishing Companies Part 2
To identify revenues for Hachette Livre, Macmillan Publishers, and Simon & Schuster for print, e-books, and audiobooks.
- Hachette Livre is the "world’s third-largest trade book publisher for the general public and educational markets."
- Hachette Livre "(or Lagardère Publishing) is a subsidiary of Lagardère Media, which is the holding company for Lagardère’s media operations."
- In the United States, "Hachette Book Group is the fourth-largest trade book publisher thanks to such publishing houses as Grand Central Publishing; Little, Brown, as well as Little, Brown Books for Young Readers in the Youth Works segment; FaithWords in the Religious Literature segment; Orbit in Science-Fiction; Twelve for Quality Non-fiction; and Mulholland for Crime-Fiction."
- Lagardère recorded revenue of "7.07 billion EUR in 2017."
- In the United States, the Hachette Book Group (HBG) "increased its revenue by 5% in 2017, mainly from bestselling titles, along with a boost from the U.S. market’s slightly higher print book sales and stable e-book sales."
- Sales by publishing segment are as follows: education 16%; illustrated books 12.7%; general literature 43.6%, artworks 12%; other (including reference) 16.5%.
- In 2017, their US revenues remained almost stable at 24.6% (24.7% in 2016).
Hachette Livres revenue in the US represented 26%.
- Most of Hachette's new publications are available in digital format in the United States and sold as e-books on all platforms.
In 2017, the Hachette Book Group (HBG), US, "noted that audio books grew (gaining a further 30.2% after growth of 32% in 2016), while e-books further declined, bringing them 30% below their 2013 peak—a level that appears to reflect a sustainable market of regular users.
Their US e-book sales declined by 5% in 2017.
- Holtzbrinck Publishing Group is a "family-owned German holding company with broad interests in research publishing (Springer Nature), educational content (Macmillan
Learning), trade book publishing (Macmillan Publishers) and technology business (Digital
Science, HV Holtzbrinck Ventures).
- Holtzbrinck’s trade "publishing activities are united under the umbrella of Macmillan
Publishers with a large number of imprints."
- U.S. publishers include "Celadon Books, Farrar,
Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan
Children’s Publishing Group, St. Martin’s Press and Tor Books."
- In 2018, "Holtzbrinck Publishing Group reported a consolidated revenue of EUR 1,494 million
and an organic revenue growth of 4.3%.
- "Breakout numbers on profitability
have not been made available by the company."
- In 2018, Holtzbrinck "(without Springer Nature) generated 53% of revenue in North
- Holtzbrinck holds a majority of "53% of
Springer Nature. Springer Nature is now one of the world’s leading global research,
educational and professional publishers."
- "Macmillan Podcasts in the U.S. produces audio content for a diverse array of readers and
listeners from sci-fi, true crime to literature and self-help."
Simon & Schuster
- Simon & Schuster publishes roughly "2,000 titles annually from more than 35 different
imprints. It has publishing and distribution capabilities in the US, Canada, the UK and
Australia, as well as an international sales presence in every major market."
- Their total corporate revenue was USD $14,514 million in 2018.
- In 2018, the Simon & Schuster segment of CBS Corporation contributed
6% to consolidated revenues.
- They closed financial 2018 with a decrease
of 1% in revenues and accounted for USD $825 million in revenues.
loss primarily reflects lower sales of print and electronic books, partially offset by 20%
growth in digital audio sales. The fastest-growing division at S&S was its audio group,
where sales gains were well into double digits."
- "The sale of digital content in 2018 generated approximately 23% of Simon & Schuster’s
- "Simon & Schuster expects
that digital content will continue to represent a significant portion of the publisher's
revenues in the coming years."
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
This research touched on the available revenues of Hachette Livre, Macmillan Publishers, and Simon & Schuster. We can continue research to add two more insights on their acquisition and growth initiatives in publishing and a brief description of their the internal organization.
In the course of our research, we also identified some interesting research paths that might also be of interest- specific to the relationship of libraries and publishers (as it influences the publishing landscape). We can 1. give a brief historical overview on the tensions between libraries and publishers. 2. identify 2-3 insights on why publishers put restrictions on libraries in the digital space. 3. identify 2-3 insights on the a publishers licensing models for e-book and audio book models for libraries.