To gather information about recent color trends in branding to justify a change of color in a private label.
Color Trend Shutterstock Report
- Shutterstock published the 2020 Color Trends Report, which analyzes billions of pixel data from downloaded images of Shutterstock customers. From this analysis, the company gathered the colors that are the most popular.
- According to Shutterstock, the most popular colors are Lush Lava, Aqua Menthe, and Phantom Blue.
- Lush Lava is a "bold and fiery orange-red" color that is used for its ability to draw attention. It also represents happiness, love, and good health in Asian culture. Examples of this color can be found here.
- Aqua Menthe is a combination of cyan and mint that together become a stunning shade. Because it is bright and serene at the same time, it is perfect for fun and contemporary brands. Examples of the color can be found here.
- Phantom blue is a deep saturated indigo-navy color that communicates "stability, trustworthiness, and sophistication." Examples of phantom blue can be found here.
- In 2020, there is a growing trend to step back from bright colors and change towards muted tones. Some brands are desaturating their colors and adding black, white, or another color "to make them less abrasive and easier on the eye."
- Brands are also returning to more earthy tones. Sometimes these tones are used to generate a retro-looking effect, to appeal to young people, or to give a sense of artisan craftsmanship.
- Also, brands are starting to use a single brand color to create a simple, clear identity.
- There is an increased tendency for metallic looks and effects. This is being used in business cards, promotional brochures, and invitations to give a touch of class and luxury, while 3D metallic effects on web design give a sense of dimension.
- Color gradients are being used to accentuate headlines or keywords.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.