Self-service Restaurant Trends
Gain an understanding of the in restaurant self-service menu market, with a focus on trends related to key players in the restaurant ordering software space, specifically third party service providers that offer apps or platforms to replace traditional server ordering systems, with a focus on understanding the maturity of the players involved, as well as key product offering details and funding in this space.
- Accuracy of order is the biggest driver of self-service food ordering, as customers increasingly expect to be able to customize details of their orders.
- 72% of customers surveyed are more comfortable customizing their orders in front of a screen.
- It's also however notes that consumers may never prefer a totally human-less customer service experience and suggested successful restaurants will be those that best integrate the technology with real human interactions in a balanced way.
- While self-service is preferred, user-friendly options that offer a staff member on hand to seamlessly handle ordering errors and to take orders from those unfamiliar with the technology are preferable.
- Shake Shack, Taco Bell, Panera, McDonalds and Sonic Drive-In have all established self-ordering services successfully.
- Self-service offers a more automated and consistent way of upselling, and self-service platforms are expected to incorporate predictive abilities in order to better do so in the future.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Provide an analysis of the 3-5 most common adoption challenges customers/consumers have in terms of discomfort with using self-service options, as well as examples of how companies in the space are addressing these (for example, 'some customers feel overwhelmed by using these systems, so X restaurant has added an option to request a staff member provide instructions on how to use the self-service tools).
Provide statistics on how self-service options increase order amount, or overall revenue in restaurants (for example, 'restaurants with self-service options are able to serve 30% more customers in the same amount of time' or 'customers using a self-service option order on average 2 more items').