The Importance of Hospitals
To inform a pitch for New York Presbyterian, it is important to understand the role of hospitals in the US culture, specifically how hospitals have evolved within the changing healthcare landscape and health attitudes and the importance of choosing a hospital in personal healthcare (is it a crucial element, a key part, or a consideration).
- According to a survey from Deloitte, finding the right health care provider is important and 50% of the consumers surveyed found it important that a certain physician or hospital is part of their health plan's network.
- When choosing a doctor, 27% of those surveyed by Deloitte found a doctor's affiliation with their local hospital important.
- The quality ratings of a hospital are more important to millennials than any other generation. When searching for a hospital, 25% of millennials look up quality ratings for the hospital, 14% of Gen X do this, 8% of baby boomers do this, and 7% of seniors.
- Consumers trust hospitals to provide health advocacy services. In fact, 44% of consumers trust either a hospital or an independent service to provide health advocacy services.
- Consumers see hospitals as a trusted source of information. Approximately 49% of consumers trust information that comes from academic medical centers and 41% trust information that comes from community hospitals.
- A survey conducted among cancer patients showed that 68% of patients are actively involved in selecting a hospital for their surgery, while 65% said their physician was involved or made the decision. To these patients, the hospital's reputation (55%) was important followed by patient satisfaction (44%).
Summary of Findings
- During the initial hour of research, we focused on determining the importance of hospitals in personal healthcare.
- From the information collected, we found that hospitals are an important consideration for consumers when choosing a health plan. The hospital is also important to patients when choosing where to continue their healthcare journey to the extent that they are personally involved in the choice.
- Hospitals are not only seen as the providers of healthcare but are also regarded as the most trusted source of information and as health advocates.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.