UK Construction Recruitment Market Size
To provide the size of the construction recruitment market in the United Kingdom measured in revenue. Specifically, to determine the share of the £35 billion recruitment market in the UK is from recruitment companies in construction. This information will be used to show the size of the opportunity that is available to a recruitment technology company in the construction space in the UK.
- The construction sector in the UK is projected to be the fastest-growing recruitment sector in 2020. There have already been significant increases in demand for both construction staff and materials orders for January 2020.
- This growth is expected because Brexit will result in the return of many foreign workers back to continental Europe leading to a critical skills shortage.
- As of 2019, there were 2.4 million jobs in the construction sector, which represents 7% of all jobs in the UK.
- According to the 2017/18 Recruitment
Report, 76% of the job placements in the UK fell under six broad
secretarial/clerical, computing/IT, accounting/finance, technical/engineering, construction
, and professional/managerial.
- The total recruitment industry revenue for 2017/18 was £35.7 billion, which was a year-on-year increase of 11%. The majority of this revenue, 86%, which was £30.85 billion was from temporary job placements while 14%, which was £4.84 billion was from permanent job placements.
- Construction accounted for 7.7% of the total number of permanent job placements in the UK in 2017/18, which was 1,142,000.
- Additionally, construction accounted for 4.9% of the total number of temporary job placements in the UK in 2017/18, which was 1,020,000.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
As the initial one-hour research has provided the share of the construction recruitment market with respect to the number of temporary and permanent job placements, and the share of revenue attributed to temporary and permanent job placements, we suggest additional research to triangulate the revenue of the construction recruitment market using this data supported by any other additional data points found during additional research. This will provide the triangulated revenue for the construction recruitment market in the United Kingdom and the share of the recruitment market in the UK that is from recruitment companies in construction.
Alternatively, we could identify 2 to 3 of the current trends in the construction recruitment sector in the UK. These current trends will be actions/issues/events that key companies or other actors are doing more and more often (or less and less frequently) within the last 2 years. For each trend, we will provide an overview of the trend, why it is considered a recent trend and the names of 1 to 2 construction recruitment companies that are currently addressing or applying the trend.