To learn about skill-based gaming by indentifying the platforms the games are played on and the top markets (countries) and players globally to inform a M&A strategy based around skill gaming.
- Skill-based games are online games that require an element of skill in order for players to win.
- Some skill-based games are games of pure skill, where no part of the outcome is determined by chance. Examples of these types of games include checkers ad chess.
- Most skill-based games are actually hybrid games that require skill to win but also contain an element of chance. Examples of these types of games include card games like poker, and some puzzle and arcade games.
- Skill-based games are playable on iOS and Android devices and are designed using both Flash and HTML5.
- Skill-based gaming platforms include GameDuell, WorldWinner, Dice Arena, Zynga, Skillz, StarGames, Spadester, Play 65, Casinorip, and King.com.
- While some skill-based games are played for fun, many others are played for cash prizes. Playing skill games online for cash or other prizes is legal in most parts of the world, including many places where online gambling is illegal.
- Skill-based games played on the Xbox One and PS4 consoles often do not involve cash prizes or any form of real-life gambling. That has begn to change, though.
- The Apple app, Play One Up connects gamers playing Madden, NBA2K and FIFA 2019 on either Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4 in online cross-platform matches where the players can bet on themselves. Play One Up is available through Google Play as well.
- GTA (Grand Theft Auto) contains an in-game casino using in-game money. Since, in-game money can be purchased using real-money, this would be an example of skill-based gaming played on a console.
- Royal Wins, maker of Kash Karnival, was granted the world’s first pure skill real money gaming license by The Kahnawake Gaming Commission (KGC), Quebec Canad. KGC is the "first gaming commission to establish globally recognized parameters and guidelines for pure skill gaming" licenses .
- Junglee Games, Dream11, 9stacks and Play Games24x7 are skill-gaming platforms developed in India.
- India is currently one of the largest potential markets for online skill gaming. The online gaming market in India equalled $350 million in June 2019 and is projected to equal $1 billion by the end of 2021, growing at a CAGR of 20%.
- Casinos are working on developing and introducting skill-based slot machines.
Summary of our findings:
- During out first the first hour of research, we were able to find 15 online skill-based gaming platforms developed in the US, India, and Australia We also found that India is one of the largest potential markets for online skill-based gaming. We did not have time to find the biggest markets, biggest global players, or detailed information about each platform.
- Please choose from the proposed next steps below.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.