To understand the market landscape for SodaStream and the sparkling water industry as a whole.
- Increased interest in mineral-rich water is driving growth in the sparkling water segment as well.
- Many Western countries consumers are shifting focus to more healthy consumption patterns. Sparkling water feeds into this, as it contains no sugar or caffeine.
- Furthermore, several European countries have introduced taxes on sugary beverages, leading to growing sparkling water sales. Sparkling water has always been popular in Europe, associated with various health benefits.
Plain v Flavored
- While plain sparkling water is still the largest segment, flavored sparkling water is growing faster.
- Canned sparkling water growth is acknowledged as a huge contributor to overall growth.
- While bottled water is still the largest segment, the increased portability of canned sparkling water is fueling sales.
- While a minor contributor, the increased price of aluminum factors in here.
- Emerging countries like Brazil, China and India are helping flavored sparkling water grow.
- As disposable income rises in key markets like the Middle East, younger generations become more interested in alternative consumption patterns like sparkling water.
- As sparkling water grows, so does the sparkling water dispenser category. On top of all the drivers already identified, this category also is being driven by increased adoption of cold water purification by consumers.
- As technology develops, consumers can now access high levels of filtration and other features like temperature control, touch panels and auto sensors for a more affordable price.
- Euromonitor estimates the still and sparkling water segments saw a CAGR of 29.4% between 2013-18.
- For the 52 weeks ending August 11, 2018, sparkling water sales grew 13.1% in the US, reaching $3.1 billion.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.