The Spirits Category
To understand the brands doing well and those struggling in the spirits category, as well as, which specific segment of this category is most threatened by competitors or declining in growth and which is forecast to see the highest growth in the next few years.
- The US spirits industry has seen significant market share gains over the past few years and continues to grow.
- Spirits account for 37.4% of the US beverage alcohol market.
- However, in 2018, the spirits industry saw a decline in "export sales of American whiskey as a result of retaliatory tariffs." Due to this regulation, American whiskey is expected to take a larger hit and decline in sales in a few years.
- On the other hand, Irish whiskey and cognac are expected to see the highest growth in a few years.
- Supplier sales in the US spirits industry was $27.5 billion in 2018.
- By sales volume, vodka accounts for the largest share of the US spirits market. The sales volume of vodka was 72.47 million 9 liter cases in 2018 closely followed by whiskey with 66.1 million 9 liter cases sold.
- Gin had the lowest sales volume in 2018 with 9.76 million 9 liter cases sold.
- The largest spirits producers in the US - Diageo, Beam Suntory, and Pernod Ricard - are doing well and continue to maintain their market share by acquiring new liquor companies they see as threats.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.