During our preliminary research, we were able to determine the typical staffing ratios for IT employees, HR, and Managers. Below is an overview of our early findings.
- The widely agreed upon IDEAL IT/help desk staffing ratio is 70:1.
- However, the median is 200:1.
- The Society for Human Resource Management’s 2017 Human Capital Benchmarking Study companies with up to 250 employees typically have an average of 3.4 human resources employees per 100 full-time positions.
- However, the median ratio, as determined by The HR Department Benchmarks and Analysis 2017, is 1.4 HR employees for every 100 workers.
- It has also been found that smaller companies have a higher HR ratios as opposed to larger companies, because larger companies have "economies of scale and automation software" that help them keep their HR ratios low.
- For most area, a typical manager to employee ratio is 10 workers per manager.
- However, for direct reports to a regional vice president or senior manager, the typical ratio is 4-to-1.
- In addition, in an administrative area, the typical manager ratio is 20-to-1.