To understand the big travel trends right now and how people choose their destination during the planning stage.
Destination Selection Statistics
- The following are statistics from the Winter 2019 The State of the
American Traveler - DESTINATIONS EDITION
- 65.6% - Opinions of friends and relatives — in-person
and/or through direct contact (email, text, etc.).
- 40.6% - All Online Media — Internet travel content (includes business websites, blogs, podcasts, video, etc.).
- 27.5% - Opinions of friends and relatives —
via social media websites.
- 21.8% - Offline Media — TV, printed newspapers,
- 16.5% - Online video travel content.
- 11.5% - Travel agencies or tour operators.
- 6.8% - Movies.
- The use of travel agents to book vacations continued the trend down in 2019. Only 14% of people used a traditional travel agent to book at least one vacation,
- Millenials are most likely to use travel agents to book travel, with 20% reporting that they expect to use a travel agent to book at least one vacation in the next year.
- We were unable to find the “Portrait of the American Traveler” chart for 2019.
- We were able to pull some travel statistics from others reporting the information.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
As the initial research identified some statistics on how Americans choose their travel destinations, we suggest continuing to identify 2-3 trends in why people are choosing their travel destinations.
Additionally, we suggest identifying 4-6 top travel trends, as reported by industry experts.