Streaming Market Globally
To support a pitch for a new streaming entrant into the Australian market and support a media strategy, best practices or success criteria examples of streaming offerings in the US or globally; information on the user journey or triggers to sign up for streaming services, the pricing and average length of sign up in the UK, US or Australia; and information on the launch of new streaming services, methods, tips, case studies, media, investment is needed.
BEST PRACTICES STREAMING OFFERINGS
- More than 50% of households in the UK have more than one streaming video-on-demand (SVOD) subscription and that number is increasing annually. Therefore, a prime audience for new subscription services is people that are already subscribed to other SVOD services.
- It is also important to identify other niche audiences that will respond to a specific USP. SVOD services today have something unique to offer its audience. Therefore, it is important to analyze first-party data to make sure the right message is promoted to the right audience.
- OTT subscribers step out of subscription services because of high subscription fees, poor user experience, and a stagnant content library.
- Netflix that has more than more than 154 million subscribers, minimizes its churn rate to 11%.
HULU LIVE TV AND YOUTUBE TV
- Hulu Live TV launched its services at a price point of $40 per month. It is targeting millennials and targets them with low prices, a modern interface, and the ability to bring together live TV, on demand, DVR, and SVOD in one place.
- YouTube TV is being offered at $35 per month. The YouTube generation consists of millennials and teenagers who spend their time doing things that make them passionate. They love TV but are not spending a lot of time watching it.
NEW STREAMING SERVICES
- Apple, Disney, AT&T, HBO Max, and NBC Universal are either providing new streaming services or expanding their services in 2019 and 2020.
- In November 2019, Apple will launch Apple TV+ at a subscription fee of $10 per month after a free trial period. Apple TV+ will provide "a variety of original TV shows, movies, and documentaries featuring high-profile directors and stars."
- Apple will also offer a subscription option for Apple TV users called Apple TV channels which will simplify subscribing to channels such as HBO and Showtime from one app.
- According to the Financial Times, Apple has reserved $6 billion for original shows and movies.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.