Study Abroad Locations & Majors - China and India
In order to assist in background research, identify what countries/regions are the main hosts of University students from China and India when those students study abroad. As available, identify the top majors of study abroad students from China and India.
- The most desired locations for Chinese University students (from mainland China) to study abroad are the US, the UK, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Germany, and Japan.
- The US, while still the most popular destination, has been decreasing in popularity due to high cost of tuition, the highly competitive nature of US college admissions, and recent tensions between the US and China.
- Conversely, the UK is increasing in popularity due to the low cost of tuition and the less-competitive nature of admissions.
- 662,100 Chinese students went abroad for their education in 2018, an increase of 9% from 2017.
- The most popular Universities in the US for Chinese students are New York University, University of California - Berkeley, Columbia University, University of California - LA, University of Southern California, University of Michigan - An Arbor, Purdue University, University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign, Ohio State University, and Michigan State University.
- In 2014, Chinese international students contributed $22 billion to the US economy.
- Safety, language, proximity to home, and reputation and recognition are influential factors in which country student's choose to study abroad in.
- 36% of Chinese students choosing to study abroad are pursuing their Master's degrees, with 31% pursuing their Bachelor's degree and 33% pursuing other degrees.
- The most popular fields of study are engineering and business management. Other popular subjects include computer science and IT, math and statistics, social sciences, trade and corporate management and finance.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
As the initial research was only able to identify popular designations and majors for Chinese student's studying abroad, we recommend continuing the research to identify the same for students from India.