Sustainability Plans for the Top 10 Fleet Companies
To understand the sustainability plas for the top 10 fleet companies in the United States.
According to Logistics Management, the top 10 fleet companies in the United States by revenue are Fedex Freight, Old Dominion Freight Line, XPO Logistics, YRC Freight, Estes Express Lines, UPS Freight, ABF Freight, R+L Carriers, Saia Motor Freight Line, and Southeastern Freight Lines.
- In terms of fleet services, the Fedex goal is to increase vehicle fuel efficiency 50% from the 2005 baseline by 2025.
- As of the end of FY2018, Fedex has reached 39.6% of the goal.
- FY2018 efforts avoided 240,000 metric tons of CO₂e emissions.
- Additional sustainability goals by Fedex involve the aircraft services and facilities. For example, a facilities goal is to procure renewable energy sources for the facilities. In FY2018, Fedex avoided 12,504 metric tons of CO₂e emissions with 23 on-site solar installations.
Old Dominion Freight Line
- ODFL does not have a published set of sustainability goals. The company claims that it is driving operational efficiences through good practices in order to minimize their impact on the environment.
- Some of their practices to increase efficiency of their fleet include: custom built tractors, linehaul transportation, efficient design, tech-savvy tires, fuel efficiency, strategic routing, and ASE-certified maintenance.
- Custom built trailers are profiled to the specific usage of OD and include custom gearing and speed limiters.
- OD uses long-combination vehicles allowing more freight to be transported at one time.
- Efficient design includes efforts to minimize air resistance by leveraging air dams, trailer skirts, and deflectors.
- Low rolling resistant tires have been installed on all fleet vehicles, as well as automatic inflation systems.
- All of the fleet vehicles include a telematics system that assesses driving statistics to help manage fuel efficiency. The company also has a no-idle policy.
- All vehicles are equipped with GPS and routes are planned using the most efficient routes.
- All vehicles are maintained on a comprehensive maintenance schedule to keep them operating at peak efficiency.
Other Fleet Companies
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.