Determine the most prevalent certifications that are available to technicians who install internet-connected devices in US homes. The information will be used to understand the competitive landscape of these technician certification programs.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIANS' CERTIFICATIONS
Based on job-board survey results, the most commonly required certifications found on posted telecommunication technician's jobs are the following:
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR RADIO, TELECOMMUNICATIONS AND ELECTROMAGNETICS (iNARTE) CERTIFICATIONS
- Several certifications are being offered by the iNARTE group for telecommunications engineers, wireless system installers, and technicians since 1982.
- The group is now known as Exemplar Global after its mrger with RABQSA International.
- The group's certification programs include the Telecommunications Technician and Telecommunications Engineer credentials that are aimed for various areas in the sectors such as "(LAN and WAN), cellular, and satellite.
- The certification has a Junior, Senior, and Master credential levels.
- These levels mandate certain number of years of work experience in the industry.
- The Junior level's required years of relevant work experience is four years at the minimum, six years for the Senior level, and eight years for the Master level.
- The Senior and Master levels also mandate aspirants to be certified at the Junior level for at least a year.
- Each level also needs the aspirant to indicate references from a supervisor and two to three colleagues.
- Other requirements include a copy of the transcript of university records or a diploma, a current "FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License (GROL) References" from one supervisor and two colleagues, with the Master level requiring three peers.
- The candidates need to agree to the iNARTE code of ethics.
- They are also required to pass a test per level with a minimum score of 75%.
- The cost of the test are the following: "application and exam fees: $110 for the Junior level, $130 for the Senior level, and $145 for the master level."
- Additional fees may be charged by test proctors.
- Exams offered by several different proctors worldwide; exam proctor may change an additional fee.
- The candicates are also required to renew their certifications on a yearly basis to keep their membership and be included in the iNARTE Certified Professionals database on the group's website.
INTERNET PROTOCOL ENGINEERING PROFESSIONAL (IPEP)
- The IPEP is offered by the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (SCTE).
- The SCTE is a member-centric organization that acts as the "technical and applied science leader for the cable telecommunications industry."
- The group provides various professional certification programs for "installers, technicians, designers, and engineers" who work in "residential and commercial projects as well as access networks."
- The certification acknowledges a technician's skills in "designing, deploying, testing, integrating and troubleshooting various IP systems."
- Aspirants need to pass a test to earn the IPEP certification.
- The certification includes "general networking theory, IP theory, network design and performance analysis, DOCSIS, IP network deployment, operation and testing, and multimedia over IP, as well as a section on "standards and internet-related organizations."
- The IPEP certification is for three years and certified professionals must have "21 recertification units (RUs) within the three-year period to maintain the IPEP certification, or retake the exam."
- The test costs are the following: "$160 member or $210 nonmember and an $85 annual SCTE membership."
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Our initial research shows that information on telecommunications technician certifications is available. Given that, we recommend identifying 4-6 additional certifications that are commonly available to technicians, how these are obtained, and what the certifications qualify them to do. For each certification identified, we will provide a 1-2 sentence overview of the certification, the cost, length, location restrictions if there are any, expiration of the certification, certification renewal requirements if applicable for certain industries.