Telehealth - Consumer Demand & Utilization
To understand the market demand for virtual visits of US telehealth providers by looking at how many telehealth providers are in the US and how they are categorized and the virtual utilization of care by the companies in the last two years.
US Telehealth Providers:
- A JD Power 2019 survey found users of telehealth providers ranked their service of 851/1,000.
- 65% of users were recommended by word-of-mouth.
- Availability of telehealth providers is the lowest in rural areas at 25%.
- The highest ranked companies for “direct-to-consumer brands” were Teladoc, Doctor on Demand, and MDLIVE respectively.
- For health-plan provided services, the top three were Humana, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, and Cigna.
- A 2019 physician survey found that from 2015-2018 the use of telehealth providers increased from 5% to 22%.
- Millennials and GenXers are more likely to use telehealth than Baby Boomers. 40% of Millennials consider telehealth providers very important in their decision making.
- Telehealth is expanding to Medicare as of 2018.
- The use of smartwatches and wearable devices has shown an increase in the use of telehealth in 2019.
- As of 2019, healthcare networks are using more Internet of Things or personal devices to communicate with 60% of organizations using them.
- 2019 is also seeing a rize in AI systems to check patient’s health information and inform doctors and nurses.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
We can identify 9 companies in the telehealth industry, with a focus on US companies. We would provide a comprehensive landscape for each of the companies that include an overview of the company, types of services they provide, how patients are referred to them, and the health plans they offer.
To gain a better understanding of recent telehealth statistics and advancements, we can look at 2-3 major trends in the telehealth field and 2-3 insights into how telehealth is being utilized that include, who is using telehealth, what type of physicians are using it, and why users are switching to telehealth providers.