Text Message Marketing
- Text message marketing, or Short Message Service (SMS) marketing, involves sending messages to consumers from a mobile device or computer to a person's mobile device.
- SMS marketing is considered a highly effective means to communicate with a target market, with high click-through rates and low cost to send a text message. A study by Deloitte reports that more than one-third of mobile-phone users check their phone within 5 minutes of waking, and users check their mobile devices, on average, more than 50 times per day.
Text Message Marketing Best Practices
ENSURE TEXT MESSAGE CAMPAIGN IS TARGETED AND RELEVANT
- Messages should be targeted to a relevant audience and should align with their behavior.
- The California Department of Public Health sent flu shot reminders via text to those who visited their flu shot locator. Roughly half of those receiving the text responded, and 90% got their flu vaccination.
INCLUDE A CALL TO ACTION (CTA)
- To directly influence behavior, marketing messages sent via text should explain specifically what they recipient should do, such as taking medication or reading information.
REDIRECT TO DETAILED CONTENT WITH LINKS
- SMS marketing is considered 'bottom of the funnel', with the purpose of engaging consumers and directing them to more detailed content on other platforms.
- When redirecting to more detailed information within a marketing campaign, include links, which are shortened, to the content.
FOCUS ON SIMPLICITY IN COMMUNICATIONS
- SMS marketing should be concise and simple, including only the necessary information, such as the call-to-action.
- Customers are more likely to engage with a personalized message. Includiing a customer's name and references to their geographic location are some examples of personalization within text message marketing.
AMERICAN RED CROSS
- The American Red Cross utilized a text marketing campaign which allowed recipients to respond 'yes' to a text and have their donation added to their mobile phone bill.
- By offering simplicity and convenience for text recipients, American Red Cross was able to raise 20% of their relief funds through text marketing.
TRUTH INITIATIVE - THIS IS QUITTING
- This is Quitting is a text campaign designed to encourage younger adults and youth to stop vaping.
- The campaign provides those who enroll behavioral support resources that support their efforts to quit vaping.
- Interactive text messages are provided on a daily basis to those who enroll, offering encouragement, information, and skills to build self-efficacy.
- Within 5 weeks of the campaign launch, more than 27,000 had enrolled.
- After two weeks, 60.8% reported they had reduced their vaping, and at 3 months, nearly 16% said they had reduced their vaping for a month or longer.
Summary of Our Early Findings Relevant To The Goals
- This initial hour of research uncovered numerous best practices for text message marketing campaigns. These best practices were very consistent across all sources, whether the goal was to influence a health behavior change, to increase website traffic, or to encourage more frequent purchase of a product.
- We also uncovered several case studies, which demonstrated a behavior change such as increased donations, health behavior changes, or increased online store or brick-and-mortar store traffic. We found two examples in early research of health behavior changes influenced by a text messaging campaign.
- Our recommended next steps are below.