Food Delivery Service App Use
Looking to understand for what occasions and when, why, and how consumers use food delivery service apps (e.g., Postmates, Grubhub, DoorDash, Seamless) to develop a new business pitch.
There are a host of sites and articles that rank food service delivery apps, but there was very limited detail on the occasion the consumers might use the apps for (examples of occasions might be late dinner for a family or an impromptu catered lunch meeting).
- GrubHub, DoorDash, Uber Eats, Seamless, Postmates, and Instacart routinely made top lists for best apps. Caviar, Delivery.com, and GoPuff are definite contenders.
- Food delivery service app users might use different services for different reasons. Users of Caviar might prefer this app “fancier restaurant” selections; DoorDash might be attractive because it is in over 1,200 cities in the US and Canada; GrubHub is known for not charging delivery fees.
- UberEats is noted to be the most popular food delivery service app in the United States, followed by GrubHub, DoorDash and Postmates, respectively.
- The average person uses about two food delivery apps and gets deliveries about 3x per month.
- 37% of delivery app consumers are willing to spend $6-$10 on delivery (including fees and tips), while 28% are willing to spend up to $15. 35% of people said they would spend no more than $5.
- Some food delivery service app consumers note why they use some apps over others: 54% have a specific restaurant in mind and 46% browse for ideas.
- Multi-restaurant delivery websites/apps are often used by people who make lower incomes and the very young (63% are between 18 and 29 years old; 51.6% of users report income of %0-$9,999).
- Meal delivery sales have tripled since 2016 for the four largest apps in the United States (DoorDash, Grubhub-which owns Seamless, Uber Eats, and Postmates).
- Delivery sales have outpaced restaurant sales and this trend is expected to continue.
In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.