US TNC Fleet Vehicles
To understand the number of TNC fleet vehicles in the U.S. by researching how many fleet vehicles there are in the U.S., total number of vehicles for companies such as Lyft and Uber, and number of vehicles for taxi cab companies, along with projections of how many vehicles there will be in the future.
- According to CNET, in 2017 Lyft had 1.4 million drivers in the U.S. and Toronto. Uber at that time had 750,000 drivers in the U.S. with 2.25 million drivers outside of the U.S. However, the article also mentions that it is more likely that Uber actually has 1.5-2.5 million drivers in the U.S. due to their growth numbers.
- In 2016, Lyft and Uber accounted for 500 million US VMT per month that resulted in $10 billion in total revenue.
- Lyft was responsible for 35% of the ride-share industry in the U.S. in 2018.
- In 2018, there were 370,400 taxi, ride-hailing, and chauffeur jobs in the U.S. The job outlook for this industry is expected to grow by 20% between 2018 and 2028.
- In 2017, there were 13,487 yellow cabs in New York City from 2010 to 2016 with yellow cab rides dropping from 463,701 day trips to 336,737 trips a day.
- Currently, the global taxi market is $108 billion compared to ride-hailing industry that totals $36 billion. However, it is expected that ride-hailing will increase from 15 million rides a day to 97 million rides by 2030. While this is a global statistic, it was included to show the expected increase of amount of rides per day for companies such as Uber and Lyft.
- A major prediction is by 2030, 1 out of 10 vehicles will be autonomous. Uber is one of the companies that is testing these type of vehicles.
Summary of Initial Research
- Our initial one-hour research was able to identify some statistics regarding the number of vehicles that both Uber and Lyft have in the U.S. as of 2018. We were unable to obtain exact predictions of how many fleet vehicles there will be in the future, but we were able to identify projections of growth for the companies.
- There was little information regarding how many total taxis there are in the U.S. We were able to identify how many there are in New York City and how the number of taxis is decreasing thanks to ride-share companies.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.