Research Outline

Transitional Housing and Drug Rehabilitation Services


To identify three companies that offer both transitional housing (also known as halfway houses) and drug rehabilitation services specifically for ex-inmates in Skagit and/or Snohomish Counties in Washington State. To also identify available resources that provide good information on the sources of government funding for such companies. Additionally, the research needs to ascertain whether the Oxford Houses provide transitional housing to ex-inmates.

Early Findings

  • Mount Vernon is the county seat of Skagit County. Pioneer Human Services acquired Phoenix Recovery Services, LLC’s counseling and treatment services in Mount Vernon, Washington in 2019.
  • In this newly acquired facility, Pioneer Human Services conducts services pertaining to substance use disorder and mental health assessments, therapeutic courts, etc.
  • Pioneer Human Services also provides halfway houses in several locations including the Skagit County Crisis Center.
  • Overall, Pioneer Human Services is a nonprofit social enterprise meant to serve individuals who have either been released from prison or are in prison.
  • Skagit Recovery Center is an establishment that provides both substance abuse treatment services and halfway housing services. However, it does not mention whether these services are available for ex-inmates.
  • There are three establishments in Everett, the county seat of Snohomish County, that provide both drug rehabilitation or recovery related services and halfway housing. These three establishments are: Recovery Concepts, Port Gardner Bay Recovery and Lakeside Milam Recovery Centers, Inc. However, none of these three centers mentioned above clarify whether their services are available for ex-inmates.
  • As far as Oxford Houses are concerned, 75% of Oxford House residents have done jail time.
  • There are several provisions of grants for companies that are into transitional housing and focus on substance abuse recovery.
  • These grants include community services block grants, administered by the Office of Community Services, community impact grants and grants administered by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration or SAMHSA.