Research Proposal

Transporting U.S. Commercial Goods


To understand any regulations that need to be followed to transport U.S. commerical goods from Canada back to the U.S.

Early Findings

  • An ATA Carnet allows for the duty-free and tax-free export and import of goods for a period of 12 months. Both the United States and Canada accept carnets so this would be a viable option for transporting commercial goods not intended for sale between the U.S. and Canada, and back to the U.S.
  • Merchandise that can be covered by carnets are commercial samples, tools of the trade (professional equipment), and goods for fairs or exhibitions. Goods transported for fairs or exhibitions are limited to 6 months rather than the standard 12 months.
  • Carnets cannot be used for agricultural products such as food and fertilizers, explosives, disposables, and postal traffic.
  • Carnets can be used multiple times within the 12-month time frame, and can also be used in multiple locations.

Obtaining a Carnet in the U.S.

  • "The United States Council for International Business (USCIB) has been designated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection as the United States guaranteeing association. USCIB has appointed two ATA Carnet Service Providers, Roanoke Trade and Corporation for International Business DBA boomerang carnets, to issue carnets on its behalf."
  • According to Boomerang Carnets, one of the U.S. approved issuers, carnets can be issued within 24 hours for applications received by 4pm central time. The basic fees range from $225-$380, but there can be additional charges depending on the goods and security requirements. Boomerang Carnets can be contacted at 800-282-2900 for assistance.
  • When the goods are transported back to the U.S. "ATA Carnets also serve as the U.S. Certificate of Registration of goods (CBP 4455) upon re-importation."
  • The Harmonized Tariff Schedule determines whether goods being brought back into the U.S. are subject to duty.
Prepared By
Michelle A.
1021 assignments | 5.0