Braided Hollow-Core Ropes
To prove or disprove the common or wide use of braided hollow-core ropes in forming eye-splices and how commonly the rope is buried into itself after that (eye-splices and buries) by providing a list of companies that manufacture braided hollow-core ropes and that offer guidance on how to form eye-splices and bury ropes, as well examples or case studies of businesses or industries using eye-splices and long or fully buried ropes. This will be used for the compilation of information to prove and demonstrate the commonality of the use of hollow-core ropes at a meeting.
- "A rope or textile structure formed by a braiding process. The intertwining of strands in a braiding process to produce a tubular rope structure."
- A braided hollow-core rope is a single braid rope construction of either plain or twill braid. The center is hollow. On the surface all strands are parallel to the axis. They are also called hollow braids.
- Because these constructions have hollow cores, they can be easily spliced.
Companies that Produce Braided Hollow-Core Ropes
- Thomas is a known industrial sourcing platform. It provides a directory of companies in North America that manufactures and/or supplies braided hollow-core ropes. Some examples of such manufacturers are CSR, Inc., Consolidated Cordage Corporation, Ovasco Industries, Aero Assemblies, among others.
- IQS Directory also provides a manufacturers directory for braided rope textile products. Companies such as CSR, Inc are also listed.
- Wound-About also manufactures braided hollow-core ropes.
Examples of Businesses/Industries Using Eye-Splices and/or Buries
- In research into the comparative strengths of eye splices and knots, it was indicated that eye splices were commonly used in sailing environments.
- Donaghys also indicate they manufacture and customize eye splices for hauling jobs and systems in factories/industries using their braiding machine.
- Bourne's Rapeworks provide that they manufacture hollow braids that are made into eye splices and used for dinghy control lines.
- During our preliminary research, we were able to gather basic information on braided hollow-core ropes or hollow braids (and their construction into eye splices and buries) and a list of potential companies that are manufacturers of braided hollow-core. However, additional research will be required into each company to understand their products and offerings.
- Also, companies that manufacture hollow braids and also offer guidance into making eye splices and buries may be limited.
- Lastly, while we could not find robust use cases and examples of companies or industries that use eye splices and buries, we could identify some applications as indicated by some manufacturers. Though quite unlikely, further research into these specific applications may yield a few insights to build a case study.
- Note that for the purposes of this research, we adopted a global focus. If specific regions or countries are desired, an indication can be provided in the next section below.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.