US City Utilities


To understand the most common utility services provided by city or county agencies and if there is any pattern in this, a list of common FAQs, and answers to those questions for each of the requested locations.

Early Findings

During our preliminary research we were unable to find a general overview of the common types of utilities provided by cities or county agencies, nor were we able to find a general list of FAQ's about utilities, as these vary widely city by city. Because of this, we began looking at each requested city separately to provide an overview of the utilities they provide, common FAQ's, and the answers to those FAQ's. Below is an overview of our early findings.

Aspen, Colorado



1.What is the miscellaneous $40 charge on my first utility bill?
  • Answer: "This is the Account Set-Up Fee and it is automatically charged to an account when the account changes names. For more information, please call Utility Billing at 970-920-5030."

2.How can I sign up for Automatic Payment for the payment of my utility bill?
  • Answer: "Complete the Automatic Payment Form on-line and submit. The form will be received by Utility Billing staff and processed. Depending upon when the form was received, the auto pay feature will be effective for the next monthly bill."

3.How do I change ownership information on an account?

4.What do I do after I have installed a new water meter, or if I think my water meter is not working properly?
  • Answer: "A meter inspection needs to be completed. Contact the Utilities Program Manager, Keith Wester to schedule one. His contact information: Email: / Phone: 970.429.1995."

  • Answer: " An inspection is done at no cost to the customer to insure the installation and equipment meets city ordinances. A meter technician inspects the meter, located inside your property, as well as your remote, located on the exterior of your property. If you would like a copy of the ordinances forwarded to you, please call 970-920-5030/5031."

6.Where do I pay my tap fees?
  • Answer: "Tap fee payments are made at the Finance window, located on the first floor in City Hall, 130 South Galena Street, Aspen Colorado. All questions concerning tap fees should be directed to Steve Wilson at 970-429-1974."

Proprietary Research

  • In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.

Proposed next steps:

You need to be the project owner to select a next step.