Vehicle Registration and Renewal Research: United States
To have a robust understanding on vehicle registration. An ideal response would include a breakdown of the basics on vehicle registration & renewal, types of registrations, how to register depending on the city/state one is based out of, registration renewals and commons FAQs like how often to renew vehicle registrations, how much does it cost, options/methods to renew, affect of tickets on registration, and then a more targeted look at specific information about vehicle registration in the top 3-5 states in the US with most vehicles registered.
Overall US information
- In the United States, every vehicle "must have a certificate of ownership showing the name of the registered owner. The title contains the owner’s name and address, the registration plate number and other details about the vehicle."
- Applications must be made to a state office. For example, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), or the local county clerk’s or treasurer’s office.
- In a general sense only, to register a car you usually require the following items: a certificate of title (unless you’re applying for a title and registration), proof of ownership, (for example, a bill or certificate of sale with purchase price and date), proof of identity and date of birth, proof of insurance or financial responsibility, sales tax clearance (in other words, a receipt for sales or use tax and if sales or use tax hasn’t been paid before registration, it is collected when you register or title a vehicle), current registration card, if applicable, a safety and emissions inspection certificates, if applicable, registration authorization, if the person registering is not the owner of the vehicle, a completed vehicle registration application form, and of course, a registration fee.
- The fact remains, though, that vehicle registration & renewal is done on a state by state basis, depending, obviously, on where someone is domiciled. The above information is high level and generic.
- This is a link showing the 50 state by state registrations fees.
- This link provides the number of U.S. motor vehicle registrations in 2017, by state as well as by type of vehicle.
- There were 284.5 million vehicles registered in the United States in 2018.
- The most current share of top 5 states of all vehicles registered in the US are California, Texas, Florida, New York, and Ohio.
- In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address the stated goals.
Summary Of Our Early Findings Relevant To The Goals
- Our initial research showed us that there is plenty of information relevant to the questions asked. We were able to provide insights in the first hour of research, which surrounded the United States as a whole, and we were able to find the top five states in the US with most vehicles registered, along with some sites that provide registration fees for each state, as well as publicly available data surrounding 2017 and 2018. We also confirmed that each state has its own set of rules and regulations.
- Please select one or more of the options provided in the proposed scoping section below.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.