Determine the type of wearable biosensors that can be bought on the market, their uses, and the cost. The information will be used to determine the types of biosensors that can be used to monitor the health and safety of workers.
- GlucoTrack from Integrity Applications is a commercially-available wearable biosensor.
- Users can clip the device on their earlobe to check their glucose levels. GlucoTrack targets patients with type 2 diabetes or prediabetes symptoms who need to continuously monitor their glucose levels without the need to prick their fingers.
- The device applies three independent technologies all at the same time. The monitoring technologies used are ultrasonic, electromagnetic, and thermal.
- The device set costs around $2,000. The set includes the main unit and the personal ear clip (PEC).
- There is a recurring expense of $120 for the PEC as this part has to be replaced once every six months.
Contact Lens Biosensor
- Sensimed AG is the first company to sell Triggerfish® lens, a contact lens sensor that can detect intraocular pressure (IOP) in the eyes of patients.
The sensor has four circular strain gauges that are integrated in the lens. These tiny gauges can sense tiny in the circumference at the limbus.
- The 24-hour use of the Triggerfish CLS costs between "$526 and $682 in single-use equipment. This is on top of the upfront cost of around $7,310 for the reusable data recorder, recorder cable, and software.
Summary of Findings
- Our one hour of research provided the types of wearable biosensors that can be bought on the market, their uses, and cost.
- As there was no geographic focus provided, we are assuming a global focus. If a more targeted approach is desired, for example, the United States, this would have to be clearly communicated to us in any reply.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
We propose to continue with the research to provide 2-3 additional types of commercially-available wearable biosensors. For each type, we will provide the company or the brand, the type of the biosensor, where it is usually used, what is it measuring, and any available cost of the product.
We also recommend undertaking additional research to provide 5 of the top health-related biosensor manufacturers based on revenue or other metrics. For each company, we will provide the name, website, why it is a top player, and its value proposition. We also propose continuing with the research to provide a full competitive analysis of these identified major players. For each player, we will provide a 3-4 sentence overview, biosensor offerings, competitive advantage, and target market.