Internet Connections: US

Goals

To determine the type and speed of internet connections across the US for different geographies and demographics in order to understand the landscape of internet connections in the country.

Early Findings

Our background research on the topic identified various statistics catering the internet connections in the United States. We've presented our findings in the research below.

DEMOGRAPHIC AND GEOGRAPHIC STATISTICS

  • About 59% of all American broadband customers get internet service by the local cable provider while the other 29% use the internet through a Digital Subscriber Line Service (DSL). Around 9% of customers have fiber connections whereas only 3% have satellite and fixed wireless connections.
  • In the United States, almost all urban residents (96%) have access to the internet with a high speed of 25 Mbps download/3 Mbps upload or more; whereas only 4% of the urban population lack internet access. On the other hand, only 61% of rural American residents have access to high-speed internet of 25 Mbps download/3 Mbps upload while the remaining 39% don't.
  • In the US, around 79% of white adults, 66% of African-American adults, and 61% of Hispanic adults have access to home broadband service.
  • As of Q2 2019, the top cable internet providers based on the highest number of subscribers are Comcast, Charter, Altice, Cox, Mediacom, WOW (WideOpenWest), Cable One, and Atlantic Broadband.
  • American internet users are paying the same amount for different speeds. For $70 a month, residents of Tuscon, Arizona get 30 Mbps from Cox Communications Inc. while the residents of Spring Hill, Tennessee get 300 Mbps from AT&T Inc. for the same amount.
  • Some of the popular internet providers in the United States, based on a survey of 1591 respondents, include Spectrum Internet (24%), Xfinity (22%), AT&T Internet (17%), Fios (6%), CenturyLink (5%), Cox (5%), Frontier (2%), Mediacom (2%), Windstream (2%), HughesNet (1%), Cable One (1%), and Dish Network (1%).

INTERNET PACKAGE PRICING IN THE US

1. Cable
  • Xfinity Internet Blast package provides cable internet service with a download speed of up to 200 Mbps at a cost of $59.99 per month.
  • Cox High Speed Internet Preferred package also provides a cable internet service with a download speed of up to 100 Mbps at a cost of $49.99 per month.
2. DSL
  • CenturyLink High-Speed Internet is a DSL internet package that offers a download speed of up to 20 Mbps at a cost of $45 per month.
  • AT&T Internet 50 offers a DSL internet package with a download speed of up to 50 Mbps at a cost of $40 per month.
3. Fiber
  • Frontier Simply FiOS 150/150 package provides fiber internet connection at a cost of $40 per month for download speed of up to 150 Mbps.
  • AT&T Internet 1000 package offers fiber internet service with a download speed of up to 1000 Mbps at a monthly cost of $80.
4. Satellite
  • HughesNet 20 GB package provides a satellite internet connection at a cost of $59.99 per month for a download speed of up to 25 Mbps.
In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.

Proposed next steps:

You need to be the project owner to select a next step.