U.S. Day Spa Financials
To gain an understanding of the economics of U.S. day spas to include financials such as average net profit per store, average revenue, expenses, and average price and cost of specific spa services.
Our preliminary findings indicate that data on the average financials for spas in the U.S. is limited in the public domain. There are many paywalled sources that offer this information, but from publicly available sources, we were unable to find solid numbers that answer all aspects of the financials of U.S. spas. We were able to find some pieces of data that could provide triangulated estimates, an example of which is below. We also found other data points that may be useful in the triangulation of other data points such as revenue per spa visit and average prices of services.
GENERAL SPA STATISTICS
- In 2017, the U.S. spa industry revenue was $17.5 billion.
- There were also 21,770 spas in the U.S. for 2017.
- This would result in an average revenue of $803,859.00 per spa.
- In 2019, the U.S. spa industry revenue is expected to be $19 million (screenshot of data is here)
- There are 23,395 spas in the U.S. in 2019.
- This results in an average revenue of $812,139 per spa.
MEDICAL SPA INDUSTRY
- There are statistics available on the medical spa industry that may give insights into the overall spa industry.
- In 2016, the average medical spa revenue is $945,000 per spa, which was a 6.9% increase over 2015.
- The top three revenue-generating services are Botulinum Toxin A Injections/Facial Fillers, Aesthetician Services, and Laser Hair Removal.
- Texas, California, and Florida are the top three states with the most medical spa locations.
- Statistics are available on the growth of specific procedures such as buttocks lifts, which have grown 82% in the past five years and male breast reductions, which have grown 77.8% in the last five years.
OTHER FINANCIAL INFORMATION
- There is information on franchise startup costs for MassageLuXe Spa and Woodhouse Day Spa which may provide insights into the financials of spas overall, especially on expenses.
- There is data on the number of spa visits, which could be used for triangulation of costs per visits.
- There are average prices of individual spa services on Thumbtack, which could be used to provide average costs in various regions of the U.S. by filtering the results by zip code.
- Thervo also provides average costs of spa services to verify the data from Thumbtack.
- There is data on conservative industry expense benchmarks for spas in the U.S. that may be useful.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.