Number of Technology Companies in the United States
To have an understanding of the number of technology companies in the United States that serve other business to business [B2B] technology companies. B2B technology companies can be defined as Salesforce.com, Servicenow, SAP, and Oracle. An ideal response would include how many total B2B technology companies there are in the United States, and any segmentation by technology type. Type could be marketing tech, financial tech, and similar.
- According to Tracxn Technologies, as of 2019, there were 19,128 HealthTech startups in United States. [Last Updated: September 3, 2019
- There were 8,000 martech companies in the United States in 2020. This figure is 13.6% higher than the 2019 count, according to Cheifmartec.com. Within the martech segment, the data subcategory is by far the fastest growing, up by 25.5%.
- There were 8,775 financial technology (Fintech) startups in North America in February 2020, making it the region with the most Fintech startups globally. In comparison, there were 7,385 such startups in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, followed by 4,765 in the Asia Pacific region. Specific up-to-date United States data was not publicly available.
- There are more than 6,500 medical device companies in the U.S., mostly small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
- There are nearly 7,000 SaaS companies in the marketing space alone.
Summary Of Our Early Findings Relevant To The Goals
- As a reminder, Wonder only uses publicly available sources. We do not have access to paid databases or paywalled reports, but we can cite them in subsequent research for reference only [in case purchase is desired]. If that is of interest, that would clearly have to be communicated to us in any reply, and has been provided as a suggested scoping.
- We spent the initial hour of research looking at publicly available statistics surrounding the research question. After intensive searching that took up most of the hour allotted to us, we are of the opinion that there are no publicly available sources that provide the number of U.S. technology companies that ONLY serve other businesses (B2B Technology companies) and/or are ONLY B2B tech companies. This is simply not available. We are not suggesting further research for this.
- In the time we had left, we located a very credible and reliable source that provided the number of tech companies overall in the United States. We provided that data in the very first bullet point. If desired, that source can be read in order to understand for each state, and some selected metropolitan areas, the breakdown of the number of tech companies. Alternatively, we can go through that data ourselves and create a custom Google spreadsheet that will reflect the data. That will be offered as a suggested scoping below. However, we are confident that the number provided there is the definitive one, so we will not be suggesting further research for this.
- Most technology industry segmentation is not available publicly. For example, we found a paywalled source that provided the North American number of fintech companies, but a recent United States number is not available. We want to note, however, that we did find older sources [from 2017 and further back] that gave some numbers. However, we ignored them as we felt the most recent data was what would be most useful. If this is incorrect, that would clearly have to be communicated to us in any reply. We will offer a scoping below that covers this eventuality.
- Please select one or more of the options provided in the proposed scoping section below.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.