Largest UK Cities
To identify cities in the UK and compile the following information: population, number of restaurants, average cost of a meal, average cost of a weekend hotel stay, average hotel rating, average cost of a pint of beer, number of free attractions, and average rating of free attractions to be used to determine the cost of a weekend stay in various UK cities.
- The UK is made up of four countries: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.
- London is the only city in the UK with a population of over 1 million people.
- According to Worldometer, the total population of the UK equals 67,646,362 people.
- According to World Population Review, one city in the UK, London, that has a population of over one million residents, 96 cities have populations ranging over 100,000 residents and an additional 951 cities that have populations between 10,000 and 99,999,999 residents.
- We have entered the names and populations of the 97 largest cities in the UK into the attached spreadsheet. If you would like additional cities with lower populations included, let us know.
- We have compiled the information for two cities: London and
- London's population is 9,304,016.
- There are 18,110 restaurants in London. The term restaurant is used loosely here and applies to everything from fine dining restaurants to coffee shops and delis.
- The average cost of a meal in a mid-priced restaurant in London is £12-15, the average of which is £13.50 ($17.40). Fine-dining restaurants cost, on average 10%-20% more.
- This site, from the Office for National Statistics, provides detailed information about London restaurants, upon request.
- The average cost of a pint of beer is £4.00 ($5.89).
- The average hotel star rating in London is 3 stars. There are also more three-star hotels in London than any other star rating.
- The average was triangulated using information that was provided by Google maps. Google maps provided the number of two, three, four, and five-star hotels. The number of one-star hotels was provided by LondonNet.
- The average rating of free attractions in London, based on the free attractions highlighted by TripAdvisor, is 4.5 stars.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
We'll start by populating the next 8 rows of the spreadsheet with the required information, calculating averages when needed. We will complete two cities per request.
Additionally, we suggest research to identify 5-7 popular paid attractions in the UK, with the understanding that at this list will include at least one attraction from each country in the UK: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. For each attraction we will provide the name, the location (city and country, the price, and a description of the attraction.