Global Browser Market Growth Trajectory

Goals

To provide the anticipated growth trajectory and drivers for the global browser market followed by breakdowns by desktop vs. mobile, select countries (US, Germany, UK, France, and Canada), and consumer vs. enterprise.

Early Findings

  • The global browser software market was valued at $4.19 billion in 2018 and is expected to grow at a modest CAGR of 4.86% to reach $5.84 billion by 2025.
  • There are at least three market reports available, but the abstracts do not provide useful segmentation.
  • There are over 112 different web browsers.
  • According to browser usage statistics for 2019, the global market share of the most popular web browsers is:
    • Chrome has a market share of 63.37%.
    • Safari’s market share is 15.05%
    • Firefox accounts for 4.49% of the browser market.
    • According to browser usage stats, Samsung Internet has 3.75%.
    • UC browser shares fourth place with Samsung Internet. It’s the browser of choice for 3.75% of the internet population.
    • Opera’s market share is 2.58%
    • IE has a market share of 2.26%, followed by Edge with 2.18%.
  • Over the last 12 months, PC browser market share has remained remarkably stable, with Chrome barely changing but with Firefox and Internet Explorer losing some share to Edge:
  • Over the last five years, Chrome has grown in share from 52% to 69% and Safari from 5% to 9%, primarily taking share from IE and Firefox.
  • Chrome is the browser of choice for 71.07% of desktop users. Firefox has a market share of 9.53%. Safari is third among the most popular browsers with 5.63%.
  • Google’s web browser is also the leader among mobile users with a 60.63% market share. Safari is a distant second with 20.19%. Curiously, mobile users prefer Samsung Internet to Firefox and Opera, which places it in third place with 6.85%.
  • Browser statistics show Safari is the undeniable ruler of the tablet kingdom. Apple’s browser accounts for 64.12% of the market, while Chrome is second with 23.76%.
  • For TVs, the browser usage in 2019 is divided between Chrome (75.47%) and Opera (22.09%). Together, they hold 97.56% of the TV browser market.

Proposed next steps:

You need to be the project owner to select a next step.