WiFi Marketing Platforms
To conduct research on WiFi marketing platforms in the U.S. that builds a competitive landscape with key differentiators between the platforms.
- Wifi marketing occurs when retailers provide wireless internet access to shoppers and use that as a channel for communicating messages and integrating promotions.
- The WiFi has a coverage area within the borders of the store.
- Anyone who has a WiFi-enabled device such as a smartphone and laptop can see and connect to the WiFi network.
- Some retailers provide full internet access while others only grant access to specific sites or apps. While this is limiting, the retailer can control the environment and drive the users to their promotions.
- With WiFi marketing, retailers can dictate that the users view, connect with, or share specific content before receiving access to the network.
- This can be a page that talks about the next in-store event or a form for a user to submit their email address and contact details.
- The network can also periodically send messages or require additional action from the users in order for them to continue without any interruption.
How WiFi Marketing Typically Works
- When you walk into a store, you join the in-store WiFi network.
- If you agree to the terms, you will also provide an email address or access to your Facebook profile to receive access to the network.
- The retailer has information about you to add to or create a customer profile.
- They can then send targeted messages through email, social ads, and use your social media profile to further personalize the content.
Benefits of WiFi Marketing
- For the customer, WiFi marketing provides convenience and an improved shopping experience.
- For the retailer, it increases sales, promotes products, helps with understanding the customers, and helps to build an audience.
Summary of Early Findings
- Our first hour of research was spent scanning for information about WiFi marketing and various platforms to determine whether the information is available, which it is. We identified the platforms for use in the proposed further research and included an overview of WiFi marketing in the early findings.
- Please select one or more of the options provided in the scoping section below.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.