US Motorcycle Riders
In order to inform a business pitch to a luxury motorcycle client, provide a demographic profile of motorcycle riders within the US, a customer journey for purchasing a new motorcycle, the motivations of motorcycle riders and potential new audiences, and a competitive analysis of top motorcycle companies (focusing on customer perceptions).
- The median age of US riders in 2018 was 50, an increase from 25 in 2012, showing a general trend of US riders getting older.
- Most riders are married, employed, and make around $62,500 per year.
- In 2018, there was an increase of college-educated riders and female riders within the US.
Motivations & Potential Audiences
- One potential way to attract new customers is by designing products for and focusing on the sustainability and ecofriendly aspects of motorcycle riding as a mode of everyday transport. This is especially attractive to younger, urban consumers.
- Common motivations for riding cited by current motorcycle riders are: the speed, the camaraderie, the "freedom of the open road," and "the joy of becoming one with [the] machine."
- One barrier that prevents people from buying motorcycles is the perceived danger of riding.
- Some things customers consider when buying a motorcycle is the type of bike to buy, whether to buy new or used, price, and weight and seat height of the bike.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.