US Retailers, Grocery Market Share
Gain an understanding of who has the most share in the grocery space, as well as trends in what retailers will gain/lose traction in the space in the next several years
- Walmart holds the largest market share in the grocery industry, with approximately 25% of the total market.
- Kroger holds 10% of the US grocery market share.
- Other key players holding significant market shares include Albertson’s, Southeastern Grocers, Costco, Publix, Target, and HEB.
- Over 40% of the grocery market is held by smaller retailers.
- Trends in the supermarket and grocery space indicate that traditional grocery stores are losing traction, and nontraditional grocery competitors and box stores will continue to increase in share.
- In 2018, traditional grocery retail channel had a decline of 1.1%, whereas food and consumables sales at nontraditional grocery retailers increased 1.9%
- This trend has been ongoing, with traditional grocery declining from 90% of the total food retail market share in 1988 to just 44% by 2018.
- Non-traditional grocery increased from 2% to 40% total market share over the same time period.
- Convenience stores are also projected to increase their market share in the food retail and grocery space.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.