UX Research Team - Measuring Impact
Determine how Internal Design Research teams (also called User Research teams or UX Research teams), specifically those in the tech industry, track and document impact in their organizations. Identify the tools they use, what metrics they track, how they define impact, how they delegate the role of tracking impact, different strategies for short-term and long-term impact, and whether they use in-house or purchased solutions. This information will be used to track and demonstrate the impact of Design Research at Dropbox.
Metrics for Impact
- To demonstrate impact, internal design research teams can show how X research insight led to Y decision and Z design change, which positively impacted a value metric.
- Teams can also survey internal stakeholders to gather opinions on the perceived impact of a specific research outcome.
- Other quantitative markers of success may include the number of beta tests to try out new features based on research, the number of usability tests run, the killing of features not needed by users, and the decrease in customer support questions about functionality.
Tools and Frameworks for Measuring Impact
- The AARRR framework by Dave McClure tracks acquisition, activation, retention, referral, and revenue.
- The RARRA framework by Gabor Papp tracks retention, activation, referral, revenue, and acquisition.
- Hue is a UX measurement tool that aims to measure financial return, set design targets, and create what-if scenarios for the design and business teams.
- Survey software like Qualaroo, Satismeter, Wootric, and Usabilla can track user perceptions of a product.
- Software like Google Analytics, Mixpanel, CrazyEgg, and HotJar provide analytics on how users are using a website.
Roles in the Internal Design Research Team
- In small companies, user experience research may fall to the CEO or designer.
- The main three disciplines within a user experience design team are user experience design, user interface design, and user experience research.
- Some of the top user experience design agencies in the world include Clay, Instrument, Red Antler, MetaLab, and Bakken & Baeck.
- Some of the top user experience research agencies include Ideo, Digital Telepathy, U studio, Fantasy Interactive, Frog, and Cooper.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.