To understand the average lifespan for electric vehicles.
- The majority of press coverage and research surrounds the life span of EV batteries rather than the whole cars.
- For example, the NREL states that EV batteries typically last around 10-15 years. However, many owners could choose to replace a failed EV battery rather than scrap the whole car.
- Some batteries are estimated to cost more than the value of the car, so their failure would most likely result in scrapping the car.
- The average age of a car in the US was 11.6 years. The average lifespan is 13-17 years.
- 6.9% of cars in the US are predicted to scrapped in 2019. This would be due to accidents, damage and failure.
- 27 million cars reach the end of their life each year, worldwide.
- Totalled vehicles represented 19% of auto insurance claim values in early 2019 in the US.
- In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.