Voice AI and ECommerce
To provide information associated with voice AI during COVID-19, which will help understand how voice AI may help address 'pain points' for customers associated with consumer behaviors noted during COVID-19 (e.g., work-from-home, social distancing, online grocery shopping).
Voice AI and Voice Commerce
- AI-enabled voice commerce has impacted the way consumers shop and communicate online.
- Brands have leveraged this technology to promote their brand, upsell, provide security and payment features, and deliver customer service, without hiring a person to handle issues.
- The size of the voice-based smart speaker market is estimated to be $30 billion by 2024, with Amazon Alexa, Siri, and Google Home Assistant being upgraded with additional features during COVID-19.
- An Adobe Smart Insights research study found that smart speakers were leveraged to create shopping lists (43%), to conduct product research (47%), and to compare prices (32%).
Voice AI and COVID-19 Concerns
- The COVID-19 crisis is accelerating the growth of the category, with smart home speakers offering consumers who are now staying at home the opportunity to reduce germs, with AI-enabled voice limiting 'touch' of surfaces that are prone to germs, such as light switches, doorknobs, TV remotes, and thermostats.
- Voice-enabled devices also are helping to ensure security and safety with at-home deliveries, without the need for face-to-face delivery.
- Jonathan Collins, Research Director at tech-research firm, ABI, says, "Greater emphasis and understanding, and above all, a change of habit and experience in moving away from physical actuation toward using voice in the home will support greater smart home expansion throughout individual homes. A greater emphasis on online shopping and delivery will also drive smart home device adoption to ensure those deliveries are securely delivered."
- Chorus.ai leverages AI to uncover 'conversational intelligence' from business phone calls, to help companies understand 'pain points' with remote teams, given the growth of remote working during COVID-19.
- In addition to helping their clients manage their teams remotely, the technology also helps their clients to understand their sales prospects, update their messaging, and optimize forecasting.
Baidu and Xiamoi
- Baidu and Xiamoi, leading Chinese tech companies, donated numerous AI-voice-enabled smart speakers to support parents who are balancing work, education, and caregiving at home during the COVID-19 crisis, in areas such as education and entertainment.
Apple and Voisys
E-Commerce Companies and Voice AI
- On April 2, Amazon noted that Alexa was now accepting 'voice donations' to the UN Foundation.
- Google's video-calling app "Duo" uses voice-AI to mimic speech of users, smoothing voice interactions on face-to-face calls.ion
- A discussion of trends in artificial intelligence and AI on April 15, 2020, noted that eCommerce companies, such as Amazon, leverage voice-AI to help consumers find promotional deals and purchase online. This trend is driving the projection of 'voice commerce' to $40 billion by 2022
Voice Mobile Apps
Summary of Early Findings Relevant To The Goals
- In this additional one-hour of research, we were able to find a number of applications of voice AI and eCommerce in the environment of Covid-19. Some trends identified were accelerating prior to COVID-19 (such as voice-enabled shopping and voice-AI to support online conferencing), and have continued to accelerate following COVID-19.
- Some additional applications of voice-AI that address COVID-19-related pain points include supporting remote teams, helping drive sales, helping clients improve messaging, providing an opportunity for voice-driven donations, providing an optimized environment for at-home deliveries, addressing specific at-home germ transmission by reducing the need to touch various surfaces, and supporting parents as they juggle working from home, educating, and entertaining their children.
- Our recommendations are below.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.