VPs of Marketing: Media Consumption Habits
To find out insights on the media consumption habits of the VPs of marketing, including the types of websites they visit the most, social media platforms they spend most of their time on, email marketing lists they subscribe to, magazines they read the most and the types of devices they tend to use to consume media.
- According to a survey conducted by Oracle, that analyzed over 130,000 tweets from 1,034 marketing leaders (e.g. Chief Marketing Officer, Head of Marketing, EVP/ SVP/VP Marketing, or EVP/SVP/VP Digital) in the U.S. and Canada, marketers look for insights from people, publications, and vendors to decide their strategies in order to deal with the explosion of technology and the newer trends of data-driven marketing.
- As far as specific platforms are concerned, LinkedIn is particularly successful with marketing executives as cross posting of LinkedIn content to Twitter was up by 200% in 2015 compared to 2013.
- CMOs are more inclined to consume and share visual content that transitions seamlessly between desktop and mobile environments.
- The survey also found that the CMOs generally gather news and opinions from a relatively small set of sources.
- When it comes to the source of the content shared by the marketing leaders on Twitter, 47% of the content shared by the marketing leaders are from the mainstream media channels, followed by industry media sources (38%), and social media platforms (12%).
- Some of the most popular sources of mainstream and industry content shared by CMOs include Forbes, Fast Company, The Wall Street Journal, Business Insider, Advertising Age, Adweek, and CIO.com.
- Top 10 personalities whose tweets are retweeted the most by CMOs are: Vala Afshar, Kent Huffman, Marc Andreesen, Darren Rovell, Aaron Levie, Glen Gilmore, Alan See, Tamara McCleary, Jerimiah Owyang, Jay Baer.
- According to a study conducted by Leadtail on the top influencers of CMOs, the top influencers are a mixed group of people that include C-level executives, authors, and professional speakers.
- Some effective ways that these influencers use to reach out to their audience are: 1) leveraging insights gained from their position, 2) leveraging domain expertise about a specific topic, 3) creating and curating compelling content, and 4) building influence through engaging everyone.
- Topics that are discussed and shared the most by CMOs on social media are: marketing, big data, artificial intelligence, innovation, virtual reality, customer experience, etc.
- According to a survey conducted by Gartner, only 51% of CMOs believe that they are “somewhat” or “very” effective at the use of marketing technology.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.